On September 21-23, in Pittsburgh, the U.S. will host the first-ever Global Clean Energy Action Forum, a joint convening of the 13th Clean Energy Ministerial and the 7th Mission Innovation ministerial. Governments, international organizations, the private sector, academia, innovators, civil society, and early career researchers and policymakers will gather in a three-day event that features a high-level plenary, topical roundtables with energy and science ministers from 31 countries, CEOs and experts, side events, technology demonstrations, and other activities.
As part of our commitment to advance gender equality and universal access to energy, and stimulate discussion on pressing thematic intervention areas, including energy poverty, entrepreneurship, women’s and youth representation, the Equality Initiative is co-hosting two side events. These events will be an opportunity to showcase the latest developments in the energy sector and to encourage multilateral cooperation.
Our first (high-level) side event will showcase how women are driving innovation for a just, equitable, and inclusive clean energy future and how collaborative global initiatives, like the Equality Initiative and the Gender and Energy Compact, are taking bold actions to close the gender energy gap. While highlighting the existing and upcoming cross-sectoral barriers and challenges, this side event will bring the expertise and experiences of inspiring speakers from the public and private sector, educational, civil society, and youth associations into a dialogue that recognizes the urgency of implementing intersectional and inclusive measures and approaches across different sectors. Moreover, speakers will share recommendations–including concrete actions, effective strategies, best practices, and tools–to catalyze action to enhance gender equality and women’s empowerment. The delivery of the Equality Initiative Awards 2022 in three categories will mark the end of this session.
The event is hosted by The Equality in Energy Transitions Initiative (formerly C3E International), Gender and Energy Compact Coalition co-led by ENERGIA International Network on Gender and Sustainable Energy (ENERGIA), Global Women’s Network for the Energy Transition (GWNET) and the United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), and Hua Nani Partners LLC.
- Sheila Oparaocha – Director, ENERGIA
- Paul Nzomo Mbuthi – Senior Deputy Director of the Renewable Energy, Kenya
- Kirsten Jurich, Principal, Hua Nani Partners LLC
- Tareq Emtairah, Director, Division of Decarbonization and Sustainable Energy, United Nations Industrial Development Organization
- Kushla Munro, Head of Division, Department of Climate Change, Energy, the Environment and Water, Australia
- Theresia Vogel, Director, Klima- und Energiefonds (Climate and Energy Fund), Austria
- Anne Vasara, Ambassador for circular economy and energy, Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland
- Joanna Osawe, President and CEO, Women in Renewable Energy
- The winners of the 2022 Equality Initiative Awards:
- The Emerging Leader Award
- The Woman of Distinction Award
- The Organizational Leadership Award